Research & Projects
On-going Research Projects
- Hecataeus, a system concerning the visualization and regulated management of the evolution of data-intensive information ecosystems.
- CineCubes, a system concerning the enrichment of of OLAP query results with insights and contexualization in a movie-like manner.
- Schema Biographies, a systematic effort towards understanding how schema evolution happens, what it entails and what patterns can possibly be observed by studying the histories of database schemata.
- Ploigia (Navigation and Visual Analytics on Raw Datasets), for the navigation and visual analytical processing on raw data, without the usage of DBMS's. Operational Program "Human Resources Development, Education and Lifelong Learning" and co-financed by the European Union (European Social Fund) and Greek national funds. Funding: 62K€
All the software developed by my DAta INTensive Information EcoSystemS Group is available on-line as free and open-source software on github.
For a long period, my research has focused on data warehouses, with particular interest on issues like Data Warehouse Metadata Repositories and Metadata Modeling, Data Warehouse Quality, On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP), and Extraction-Transformation-Loading (ETL).
Apart from the data warehousing field, my on-going research is focused how the rigorous modeling of data, software and their interdependence can be exploited for the design, visualization and smooth evolution of data-intensive information ecosystems. The primary construct for this research is the notion of Architecture Graph that acts a the blueprint for the internal structure of a database-intensive information ecosystem.
Finally, I am also interested in software engineering with a background of work on web services.
- EICOS: foundations for perSOnalized Cooperative Information Ecosystems, THALES call (operation programme "Education and Lifelong Learning" ,NSRF 2007 -2013) of the Ministry of Education, Hellas, for the Research Center "Athena". Workpackage Leader for WP5. Project Coordinator: Yannis Ioannidis; Duration 42 months (2012 - 2015); Total budget: 528K Euro.
- DIACHEO (Query Management over Ad-Hoc Communities of Web Services), PYTHAGORAS II action of EPEAEK, Univ. of Ioannina, Funding: 70000 €, 2005-2007. The research aimed to study how communities of mobile peers that communicate via web services can be managed.
- ARKTOS II, a project focusing on ETL workflows, concerning both their design and their execution.