Online Social Networks and Media
The course covers different issues around different types of networks in life and technology. We will study the theory behind the formation and properties of such networks, processes on networks, algorithms that make use of the network, and tools for analyzing them.
The course homework consists of assignments, a presentation and a project. The final grade will be determined 25% by the assignments, 25% by the presentation, and 50% by the project.
· 21/2/2013 Final Grades: You can see your final grade for the course here.
· 11/2/2013 Project Exam: The project exam will take place on Friday 15/2, between 10 and 2. You can reserve a spot for the exam on this link (one per team). The spots will be given on a first come first serve basis.
· 4/2/2013 Project Deadline Extension: The deadline for the projects is extended to February 11, 5pm. You should submit your project via email. The projects examination will be on February 13. No slides are necessary.
· 16/1/2013 Project Reports and Deadlines: The deadline for submitting the projects is February 8. Personal project presentations will be done on February 11 and 12. Some guidelines for how to write the project report can be found here (in Greek).
· 24/12/2012 Presentation Schedule: The schedule of presentations is here.
· 21/12/2012 Project Proposals: The deadline for the project proposals or proposal modifications is today. Late project proposals will have a penalty.
· 11/12/2012 Project Assignments: You can see the current project assignment here. Please check the file to see if there is any mistake in the assignment, or if your name appears in the file. If not yet decided on the project, please let us know as soon as possible. Each team should arrange a meeting this week or early next week to discuss their project, before submitting their two page proposal.
· 6/12/2012 Assignment 4: Assignment 4 is out. The deadline is Wednesday December 19 in class.
· 28/11/2012 Projects: The list with the project topics is on the Homework page.
· 20/11/2012 Supplementary material for Assignment 2. Copying model error: For the supplementary material of Assignment 2, you should prepare some slides that present it. If there is time you may need to present it, if not we will grade based on the material on the slides. Regarding the Copying Model, thanks to one of your colleagues an error in the presentation was discovered. Specifically, in the paper, α is the probability that a node links to a random node, and 1-α the probability that it copies a link. Therefore, the correct formula of the exponent is β = (1+α)/α. (Or you can keep the formula as is, and switch the probabilities. Those working with the copying model should take this into account.
· 14/11/2012 Assignment 3: Assignment 3 is out. The deadline is Wednesday November 28 in class.
· 5/11/2012 Assignment 2 Clarification: For the second assignment, you need to implement yourselves the model that you picked. You should not use the implementation of Gephi. Gephi should only be used for visualization and measurements.
· 1/11/2012 - Assignment 2: Assignment 2 and the material from Lecture 4 are now available on the corresponding web pages
· 11/1/2012 Deadline for Assignment 2: The deadline for Assignment 2 is Wednesday November 14, not next week. Details for the assignment, and slides from this weeks lecture will be posted on the web page of the course today.
· 22/10/2012 Power-law plots for Assignment 1: You can read more about the different methods of plotting the distribution and estimating the power-law exponent at:
o M. E. J. Newman, Power laws, Pareto distributions and Zipf's law, Contemporary Physics.
· 17/10/2012 Assignment 1: The first assignment is out, details on the Homework page. Due on Friday 26/10 in class.
· 17/10/2012 Change of class time: Next class will be on Friday 26/10, 15:00-18:00